Birmingham Rowing Club

Rowing in the heart of the city

Category: Water level

More on the water level

Since the thaw BWB have been actively pumping water into the Res and it is now rising rapidly at several centimetres per day.

Water update

The reservoir toe drain works have been completed and the water level should now rise gradually as BWB plan not to take any water from the reservoir. Whilst, this is good news there’s more potentially bad on the horizon. The spillway repairs works were supposed to only require a drop to 0.5m to complete, however, because of “running sands”the engineer has requested that the level be dropped to -3.0m whilst this work is going on – this is planned to be in August. This is also the best case scenario.

Last word on the water

BWB have now announced that they’ve start work on installing the reservoir drain and so the water shouldn’t go down any further. It’s currently at -3.15m. Unfortunately, because of problems in finding contractors to deal with an asbestos building, the work is going to take 6 weeks instead of two (never mind that we were originally informed that it had to be completed by the end of March on practical pain of death). This means that the current level will probably be the level for the regatta

More on the water

BWB have now confirmed that they have pulled the plug to take the water level down further to -3.0m after the reservoir engineer said he was still concerned about the seepage into the toe drain at the current level. I’m afraid that the water will now start disappearing fast from our end and there’s nothing we can do about it except hope that it starts raining once the works are complete.

Where’s the water going?

When everyone else is off the water because of floods you may wonder why the Reservoir level is going down. This is because the works which we had hoped had been put off until the autumn must now take place next month. A test dig is being done on 28th January and more will be known after that on how much is likely to be going down the plughole – but it could be as much as 3m.

Further on the water level

A further communication from BWB has revealed that they will have to do more work than they thought, so have closed the valve and asked the inspecting engineer to give them more time to do the work. If granted, this will mean that it can be done next summer when the water level will be down naturally.

Meeting with BWB

We met with representatives of the Parks & Leisure and MSC with the BWB today and they explained the situation re the dam repairs. They are going to do a test excavation on Thursday to see if they can complete their work with the present 1m depression of the water level. If it works all well and good – if not then it’ll have to go down to 3m. Even so given an averagely wet winter the level for next year’s regatta should be better than it was for this year.

Update on the water level

We met with representatives of the Parks & Leisure and MSC with the BWB today and they explained the situation re the dam repairs. They are going to do a test excavation on Thursday to see if they can complete their work with the present 1m depression of the water level. If it works all well and good – if not then it’ll have to go down to 3m. Even so given an averagely wet winter the level for next year’s regatta should be better than it was for this year.

More bad news on the water level

If you’re wondering why the water level’s dropping, we received this from BWB today:

We are required by the Reservoir Panel Engineer to undertake some work at the toe of the embankment. To facilitate this work, he has asked that we reduce the level of the reservoir by up to 3m below weir level (which is approx 600mm lower than the level normally expected in the reservoir at this time of the year). The works need to be completed by March 2008 to ensure compliance with the Act. In order to maximise our potential to refill the reservoir, we have decided to bring the works forward to December, which is why we have had to commence drawdown now. We will be installing an observation trench at the toe and will be monitoring seepage as the level in the reservoir drops. If we reach a stage where seepage becomes minimal before reaching the -3m level, we will obviously stop and avoid unnecessary dewatering.

Upon rewatering the reservoir, we have been asked to maintain the reservoir at -500mm until the spillway works have been completed during summer 2008.

We recognise that this may be an inconvenience to you, but can assure you that we will do our best to minimise the effects.

Regards

Fingers crossed for another wet winter